We are still seeing cases of influenza in Chicago. Here is a simple recipe for bone broth to help soothe congestion and cough.
– 1 whole organic chicken carcass or other raw bones.
– Cover with water in a large pot.
– Add vegetables and fruits (NO ONIONS!). Specifically include carrots, kale, 2 raw garlic cloves, celery, cut lemon, apple or others.
– You can also add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.
– Simmer for 8-12 hours (you may start offering small amounts after 2 hours if needed).
– Strain broth in a colander.
– After straining the broth, add the following –
-Add 1 tablespoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon basil.
-Add juice from 2 lemons.
-Add organic chicken pieces
Feed 1/2 cup warm broth (not hot) 4-6 times daily for a 30-50lb dog. Bone broth will keep in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, and in appropriate freezer containers will last one year. As with any food items we recommend using fresh, high quality, organic ingredients whenever possible.